In this Strathclyde/Glasgow collaboration we have observed highly efficient generation of 420 nm laser light via up-conversion of near-infrared lasers in a hot rubidium vapor cell, with single-pass conversion efficiency of 260%/W, significantly higher than in previous experiments. Favorable scaling of our current 1mW blue beam power with additional pump power has been shown. We have investigated:
- the power-, polarisation-, frequency-, temperature- efficiency, of the four-wave mixing process
- trans-spectral orbital angular momentum (OAM) transfer, utilising optimised spatial light-modulator (SLM) patterns
- spectral narrowing and further enhancement of efficiency via the use of a ring cavity around the Rb cell
- R.F. Offer, J.W.C. Conway, E. Riis, S. Franke-Arnold and A.S. Arnold, Cavity-enhanced frequency up-conversion in rubidium vapor, Opt. Lett. 41, 2177-2180 (2016).
- Clark, TW ; Offer, RF; Franke-Arnold, S; Arnold, AS; Radwell, N, Comparison of beam generation techniques using a phase only spatial light modulator, Opt. Express 24 6249-6264 (2016).
- G. Walker, A.S. Arnold and S. Franke-Arnold, Trans-spectral orbital angular momentum transfer via four-wave mixing in Rb vapor, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 243601 (2012).
- Arnold, AS, Extending dark optical trapping geometries, Opt. Lett. 37, 2505 (2012).
- A. Vernier, S. Franke-Arnold, E. Riis and A.S. Arnold, Enhanced frequency up-conversion in Rb vapor, Opt. Express 18, 17020 (2010).
- Franke-Arnold, S; Leach, J; Padgett, MJ; Lembessis, VE; Ellinas, D; Wright, AJ; Girkin, JM; Ohberg, P; Arnold, AS, Optical ferris wheel for ultracold atoms, Opt. Express 15, 8619 (2007).