|Prof Thorsten Ackemann
Prof. of Nonlinear Photonics
Department of Physics
University of Strathclyde
107 Rottenrow East
Glasgow G4 0NG
Office: John Anderson 8.21
Phone: (+44) 141 548 3079
Fax: (+44) 141 552 2891
Physics Department webpage
- First network event: European Training Network ColOpt -Collective effects and optomechanics in ultra-cold matter
- Physics Focus in Physical Review Letters: :
Vortices of light on the cheap on
Spontaneous Formation of Vector Vortex Beams in Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers with Feedback on
- Editor’s suggestion in Physical Review Letters: A step toward 3D self-localization and light bullets:
Observation of Mode-Locked Spatial Laser Solitons
- European Training Network ColOpt -Collective effects and optomechanics in ultra-cold matter starting 1/1/2017
- Invited talk on Complex States of Laser Solitons: Anti-Vortices and Mode-Locking at pdnoc16 — International Tandem Workshop on Pattern Dynamics in Nonlinear Optical Cavities, Dresden, Germany, Aug 15-19, 2016.
- Plenary talk on Dynamics and Interaction of Laser Cavity Solitons in Broad-Area Semiconductor Lasers at THE SECOND INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP “NONLINEAR PHOTONICS: THEORY, MATERIALS, APPLICATIONS – NP$\hbar$’15, St. Petersburg, Russia, June 29 – July 02, 2015.
- Observation of Arrest of Domain Coarsening via Antiperiodic Regimes in Delay Systems published in Physical Review Letters.
- Program chair of European Quantum Electronics Conference EQEC in Munich, June 21-26, 2015.
- Invited talk on dissipative vortex solitons and azimuthons at The Nonlinear Meeting, Edinburgh, May 17-22, 2014.
- Invited talk on laser soliton dynamics at NDSL14 International Workshop: Nonlinear Dynamics in Semiconductor Lasers, Berlin, May 12-14, 2014.
- Observation of self-organized hexagons via optomechanically nonlinearities reported in Nature Photonics.
Fellowships, stipends and prizes
Jan 2013 Fellow of the Optical Society of America
June 2012 Fellow of the IOP (FInstP)
- P. J. Javaloyes, T. Ackemann, and A. Hurtado; Arrest of Domain Coarsening via Antiperiodic Regimes in Delay Systems, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 203901 (2015).
- G. Labeyrie, E. Tesio, P. M. Gomes, G.-L. Oppo, W. J. Firth, G. R. M. Robb, A. S. Arnold, R. Kaiser and T. Ackemann; Optomechanical self-structuring in a cold atomic gas., Nat Phot. 8, 321 (2014).
- P. V. Paulau, C. McIntyre, Y. Noblet, N. Radwell, W. J. Firth, P. Colet, T. Ackemann, and G.-L. Oppo; Adler synchronization of spatial laser solitons pinned by defects, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 213904 (2012).
- N. C. Gerhardt, M. Y. Li, H. Jaehme, H. Hoepfner, M. R. Hofmann, and T. Ackemann; Ultrafast spin-induced polarization oscillations with tunable lifetime in vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers, Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 151107 (2011).
- A. Tierno, T. Ackemann, C. G. Leburn, and C. T. A. Brown; Saturation of absorption and gain in a quantum dot diode with continuous-wave driving, Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 231104 (2010).
- Y. Tanguy, T. Ackemann, W. J. Firth, and R. Jaeger; Realization of a semiconductor-based cavity soliton-laser, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 013907 (2008).
- I. V. Babushkin, M. Schulz-Ruthenberg, N. A. Loiko, K. F.Huang, and T. Ackemann; Coupling of Polarization and Spatial Degrees of Freedom of Highly Divergent Emission in Broad-Area Square Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 213901 (2008).